Window Seat Media, Story Telling for Social Change. We amplify local knowledge, share powerful ideas, and ask what is possible.
Window Seat Media is a collaborative of multimedia storytellers who use story as a catalyst for conversation, connection, and change. We do this because we believe we write our future with the stories we narrate, and we are committed to co-creating an inclusive, connected, and just world.
Our Values + Practice
We experiment with a variety of formats - live storytelling, theater, community conversations, podcasts, film screenings, exhibits, and more - to amplify local knowledge, share powerful ideas, and ask what is possible. Our purpose is to join with people and locales to strengthen our communities.
We are guided by a commitment to continually refine our practice, to listen deeply, and to find relevant, innovative, and evocative ways to share stories. We are a nimble organization that thrives on synergy, abundance thinking, and experimentation. We value relationships (human and place-based), multi-disciplinary collaboration, multi-vocality, equity, transparency, and trust. We aspire to gather and share nuanced, layered stories with artistic and ethical integrity. We are grounded in a story gathering and story sharing practice that:
- Shares skills to help others to tell their own stories
- Asks with respectful curiosity and listens to understand
- Acknowledges our inherent subjectivity while practicing neutrality
- Owns our power as sharers of others' stories and produces stories with ethical and artistic integrity
- Recognizes the vulnerability of sharing stories and cultivates agency, safety and trust
- Uses story to address community needs and values and express cultural practices
We consider ourselves stewards of other peoples’ stories and we never share a story without the person’s feedback and consent. Furthermore, we believe that the story sharer owns the story and can ask to withdraw from the project anytime.